Aromantic Asexuals

A community for aromantic asexuals to connect and discuss, in whatever depth, aromanticism.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Aromanticism is not about relationships

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Almagest

PostSubject: Aromanticism is not about relationships   Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:09 am

So this has become a pet peeve of mine.

Aromantic is simply the lack of romantic attraction. Period. It's not about hand-holding, kissing, or having a romantic relationship. It's just about attraction.

And yet I encounter so many people who say, "I never want to be in a romantic relationship so I'm aromantic" or "I can't stand physical contact so I'm aromantic." Then you get people who say, "But I want those things. Does that make me romantic even though I have no idea what romantic attraction is?" And still others say, "Well, I'm in a romantic relationship now. I guess I'm not aromantic." But you can have a romantic relationship and still be aromantic. The same way you can have a sexual relationship and still be asexual. You can love someone without being attracted to them.

It's just like asexuality. Asexuality is simply the lack of sexual attraction. It's not about whether or not you have sex. It's not about if you want to have sex or not. It's just about attraction.

Basically, I'm tired of people using behavior to define aromanticism (and asexuality). Both are simply about attraction and nothing more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coloratura

PostSubject: agreement   Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 am

I agree completely. I don't get why these people consider themselves aromantic. It's like celibates calling themselves ace. Inaccurate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Aromanticism is not about relationships
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1