Aromantic Asexuals

A community for aromantic asexuals to connect and discuss, in whatever depth, aromanticism.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

aromantics in fiction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cilas

PostSubject: aromantics in fiction   Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:58 pm

I've decided to open a thread for a dicussion of aromantics/aromanticsm in fiction.

What are your feelings on how aromance is (or isn't) portrayed?

Any noteworthy aromantics (or at least aromantic friendly) characters that you have come across?

Feel free to suggest any other topic questions
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: aromantics in fiction   Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Good topic.

It's difficult to go through every piece of media I've read but the one that instantly comes to mind are several Lord of the Rings characters: Frodo, Bilbo, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf - basically a good few of them.

Actually Legolas and Gimli have a very tight platonic relationship, after the series they pretty much spend the rest of their lives together and I can't imagine it being romantic in anyway.

I think it worked very well for all of them - romance was just never mentioned, no females popped up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aromantics.forum-motion.net
Cilas

PostSubject: Re: aromantics in fiction   Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Ahh... yes, Lord of the Rings. Granted, it does help that most of the cast is male, but I like fact that the main relationship/s in that story is one of camraderie (not unlike the new expendables film, I suppose)

Now, if only more stories were like that that had a more mixed - gendered cast, that would be great

Come to think of it, most stories that are aromantic friendly were written in previous eras....Alice in Wonderland, Narnia, Sherlock Holmes (at least, I like to think of him as aromantic as well, myself!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aiko

PostSubject: Re: aromantics in fiction   Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:07 am

To bad I don't like fantasy allot, LotR was never my deal, but yeah it wasn't a bad movie and there wasn't much romance in it at all 8D

I liked Bones before they 'changed' her and went loveboat with that guy, now shes just what the mass wants -_- I quit watching a whole while ago.

as for male cast only, I always did like Band of Brothers allot ! Sure some of them had girlfriends but the viewer wasn't really getting to much of that. At least not that I can remember anyway rofl xD

Lucky Luke, if you think about it, the guy spends ages traveling on his horse without the need of human or female company. I know hes only a comic book figure ... He has a strong bond with his horse Jolly but the rest of the people he knows are friends. Only 1 woman fell in love with him and ran and set her up with a guy that did love her.

for the rest, thers anime's out there that don't deal to much with romance. Lian was pretty cool.
Alucard doen't show any special feelings towards Intrega , she is however ,his master and he will protect and serve her. Same goes for that police woman, idk it could be love to others but to me, she is connected to Alucard in a brainwashed servant way.

hm can't think of much more, its been ages since I watched any of these tbh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: aromantics in fiction   

Back to top Go down

aromantics in fiction
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1